About The Scholarship
The L.I.F.E. Scholarship will be awarded to one or more students once per year in the month of August. Award recipients will receive a minimum award of $500.00 made payable to the educational institution at which they are enrolled for tuition, fees, and other educational-related expenses.
Notification will be given to the winner(s) only.
What makes a L.I.F.E Scholarship Winner?
The winners that are selected to be awarded a L.I.F.E Scholarship demonstrate exceptional merit and an extraordinary drive to succeed while overcoming the struggles that come with lupus. They do not allow their illness to stand in the way of their dreams and career aspirations. They are leaders and they care about people and their community. L.I.F.E Scholarship winners demonstrate their potential to thrive in college and eventual career by providing a letter of recommendation, transcripts, extracurricular involvement, and an essay about their journey with lupus.
Fulfilling all scholarship requirements does not necessarily entitle you to a scholarship. The L.I.F.E. Scholarship is much more than fulfilling the requirements; scholarships are awarded to students who have gone above and beyond the limits of lupus demonstrating incredible courage, strength, and perseverance. L.I.F.E. Scholarship winners are an inspiration for those struggling to cope with this disease. They are role models and are willing to share their story with others. If you do not wish others to know of your story, this is not the right scholarship for you. Any information you send to L.I.F.E. may be used to promote awareness of lupus (newspapers, website, Facebook, etc). This not only furthers the mission of L.I.F.E, but also serves to inspire others living with lupus that they, too, can acheive their dreams.
Each applicant must meet the following requirements:
1. Diagnosed with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
2. Full -time or part-time student working towards an undergraduate or first-year graduate degree. A minimum of six credits enrolled per semester at an accredited United States college or university is required. Online classes do NOT count toward 6-credit minimum.
3. Enrolled at their college or university for the upcoming FALL semester after scholarship is awarded.
4. Have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0
5. Involved in at least one extracurricular activity (e.g., performance group, athletics, clubs/organizations, community service, employment, etc.)
6. Demonstrated leadership and is active in their community
7. Willing to share their story with others
8. Does not hold a graduate degree at the time the application is submitted
*The Scholarship Committee has the right to disqualify a student at any point during the winner selection process. Applicants that do not meet ALL eligibility requirements will not be reviewed. Applicants who do not complete the entire application procedure by the July 1st deadline will be disqualified.
Candidates MUST submit:
- Completed application checklist AND application form (download below)
- Letter from a physician verifying a diagnosis of SLE
- Copy of a transcript or grade report of the last semester attended
- Minimum of one letter of recommendation from a teacher, faculty member, mentor, coach, club/organization advisor, or employer (excluding family members). Do NOT send more than two recommendation letters.
- An essay of 500 words or fewer, typewritten and double-spaced on "How Lupus Has Affected My Life"
The application and accompanying documents should be mailed to the following address:
Lupus Inspiration Foundation for Excellence
L.I.F.E. Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 64088
Tucson, AZ 85728-4088
*Please note: L.I.F.E requires that all Scholarship winners allow L.I.F.E to share their story with others both on social media and in published documents. Any information pulled from a winner's essay may be edited for spelling and typing errors, improper word usage and grammar errors.
The application and all accompanying documents must be postmarked by July 1st. L.I.F.E. will not accept faxed or emailed applications or those postmarked after the deadline.
The essay can earn a maximum of 60 points and will be judged primarily on content. The application form and the letter of recommendation together can earn an additional 40 points. The judging panel will include at least one individual with lupus.
If you are selected as a finalist, you may be contacted for a phone interview.
Forms to include in application
The scholarship application form and a document containing the above described elegibility requirements and application procedure are available for download below as Adobe PDF files.
L.I.F.E. Scholarship Form (150Kb)
|If you do not have Adobe Reader, it is available for free download from Adobe's website. Click the "Get Adobe Reader" icon below to obtain Adobe Reader.|