About The Scholarship
L.I.F.E. Scholarships are awarded to one or more students every year. Recipients receive a minimum award of $500 made payable to the educational institution at which they are enrolled.
All applications are due July 1st and notification will be given to winners by August. However, please note that all applications will be kept on file and additional scholarships may be awarded throughout the academic year.
What makes a L.I.F.E Scholarship Winner?
All college students living with lupus are incredibly inspiring and worthy of recognition. Applying for a L.I.F.E. Scholarship is courageous and demonstrates a willingness to help others by sharing your story. Our winners demonstrate exceptional academic merit and a drive to succeed while overcoming the struggles that come with lupus. They have taken a bad situation and turned it into a way to learn about themselves and how courageous they truly are. They are leaders that care about others and their community and are role models to those still learning about this life-altering disease.
Please note that any information you send to L.I.F.E. may be used to promote awareness of lupus (newspapers, website, Facebook, etc). This not only furthers the mission of L.I.F.E, but also serves to inspire others living with lupus that they, too, can acheive their dreams.
Each applicant must meet the following requirements:
1. Diagnosed with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
2. Full -time or part-time student working towards an undergraduate or first-year graduate degree. A minimum of six credits enrolled per semester at an accredited United States college or university is required. Online classes do NOT count toward 6-credit minimum.
3. Enrolled at their college or university for the upcoming FALL semester after scholarship is awarded.
4. Have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0
5. Involved in at least one extracurricular activity (e.g., performance group, athletics, clubs/organizations, community service, employment, etc.)
6. Demonstrated leadership and is active in their community
7. Willing to share their story with others
8. Does not hold a graduate degree at the time the application is submitted
*The Scholarship Committee has the right to disqualify a student at any point during the winner selection process. Applicants that do not meet ALL eligibility requirements will not be reviewed. Applicants who do not complete the entire application procedure by the July 1st deadline will be disqualified.
Candidates MUST submit:
- Completed application checklist AND application form
- Letter from a physician verifying a diagnosis of SLE
- Copy of a transcript or grade report of the last semester attended
- Minimum of one letter of recommendation from a teacher, faculty member, mentor, coach, club/organization advisor, or employer (excluding family members). Do NOT send more than two recommendation letters. Letters must be written on official letterhead and include the author's signature.
- An essay of 500 words or fewer, typewritten and double-spaced on "How Lupus Has Affected My Life"
All pages must be numbered in the order listed above (i.e. 1 of 10; 2 of 10, etc).
The application and accompanying documents should be mailed to the following address:
Lupus Inspiration Foundation for Excellence
L.I.F.E. Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 64088
Tucson, AZ 85728-4088
*Please note: L.I.F.E requires that all Scholarship winners allow L.I.F.E to share their story with others both on social media and in published documents. Any information pulled from a winner's essay may be edited for spelling and typing errors, improper word usage and grammar errors.
The application and all accompanying documents must be postmarked by July 1st. L.I.F.E. will not accept faxed or emailed applications or those postmarked after the deadline.
The essay can earn a maximum of 60 points and will be judged primarily on content. The application form and the letter of recommendation together can earn an additional 40 points. The judging panel will include at least one individual with lupus.
If you are selected as a finalist, you may be contacted for a phone interview.