Tips for Students with Lupus
Let's face it- college is stressful. Dealing with the symptoms of lupus on top of the stress from school and extra-curriculars can sometimes feel all but impossible. First, it is important to recognize that you are not alone. Joining lupus support groups at your college or university can be an indispensable resource to help you through. Here are a few more tips to help make your college experience as stress-free as possible.
- Know the warning signs that usually lead to a flare up. It’s important to listen to your body. Relax and take it slow.
- Get physical. Exercise is very important for everyone, especially for students with lupus. Finding a buddy to exercise with is a great way to get motivated and stick with it. Many universities also offer a variety of exercise classes. These classes are not only a great way to feel great, but also a great way to meet new people.
- Set aside time for yourself every day doing something that you enjoy and to take your mind off of your workload. Once you start this habit even for just 20-30 minutes per day, you'll recognize how crucial it is to minimizing the stress in your life.
- Managing time effectively is an essential tool for reducing stress. Great time management techniques include setting personal goals, prioritizing, making to-do lists, managing distractions, avoiding procrastination, and taking breaks.
- Forgive yourself. Understand that being perfect is an impossible task for anyone! The more you get down on yourself, the less enjoyable college will be. Allow learning to be fun! Work hard, but realize that the top grade isn't everything. You WILL succeed in life when you put in your best effort!